Now, this is a subject I've been studying and learning lately. So, it's a timely quote for me.
When life is going along smoothly, it's easy to have faith and praise God. But when those trials and difficulties come along as they eventually do ...it's not as easy.
I've fallen into the trap of asking this first question:
"Why is this happening to me?"
And then the second question is:
"When is this going to end?"
But I have to say that I'm growing in this area. The last few years have been very unsettling for me. I like certainty and stability and they've been just the opposite.
But the Lord is teaching me and I can see that I am growing in my faith and trust. I know He is trustworthy. I am spending time daily in His Word and in prayer. I am seeking His Will.
My theme for 2010 is "trust and obey". And my verse for this year is:
"Do not be anxious for anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7
And do you know what? When I do this, it works. But I've got to lay it all down and not take it up again.
Even though my questions are not being answered at this time, I make the choice to live by faith and not feelings. And why do I choose to do this?
- I know that God will direct me as I continue to seek His guidance.
- I know that He has a purpose that is for my good and His glory.
- I know that this difficulty will not continue forever.
- I know that God has perfect timing.
- I know that there are lessons He has for me to learn in the midst of the difficulty.
- I know that I will be able to be used to help others who go through similiar problems since I've experienced it myself.
Our response as we go through difficulties tells the world what we truly believe.
What does the world see in you? Do you live by your feelings or do you live by faith?