When is the best time to exercise? I've heard that the morning is the best time to exercise. Maybe the above Pinterest quote is true?
I've been trying to establish new habits with a goal of losing 20 pounds. I set up a schedule for myself. I began with the intention of exercising in the morning before work. After all, I am a morning person. But as you can see, I have many other items on my morning agenda.
This was the schedule I came up with and wrote about in another post.
- Alarm goes off at 5am (I don't think about it and quickly get up)
- Coffee in hand
- Quiet time with my Bible, journal, pen already set up the night before
- Exercise on treadmill (time depends on whether or not it is a hair washing day)
- Weights every other day
- I try to do my shoulder exercises because of my previous rotator cuff injury (homework from my Physical Therapist Kristina)
- Make and pack my lunch for work including salads, fruit
- Have breakfast of cereal and fruit
- Shower and dress
- Leave for work by 7:30am
I had no trouble getting up on time. I simply had to get to bed at a reasonable hour. Coffee and quiet time are a necessity. After all, I need patience and the Lord's guidance each day as I work with little children.
But I found that I was having trouble getting to work on time when I exercised in the morning.
So I've switched things up. I began to exercise as soon as I got home from work. Since my husband works from home, I had to have his cooperation. After all, no distractions. I get changed and hop on the treadmill for a minimum of 30 minutes. I'm going to increase the time to 45 minutes in the next week but I wanted to work on establishing the habit first. It's better to walk on the treadmill at a slower pace for a longer time than to go faster for a shorter time.
This week has gone much better with this amended schedule. I've been consistent with my exercise. Greg knows where I'm headed as soon as I get home from work. He told me that works out better for him too as we eat our dinner a bit later. We have time to talk and spend time together.
The bottom line is I only lost one pound. However, I'm not discouraged. The new healthier lifestyle will eventually convert into a healthier me. And that's what's important.
I also have another change in my schedule. I attended one Pilates class that was taught by my next door neighbor Caroline. I was so sore the next few days but it was so good. I will be taking this class every Thursday evening. Flexibility is something I need to focus on!
I'm joining Kim of At Home With Kim for Weigh-In Wednesdays.
So let's get personal. How are you doing with your exercise?
- Do you need to evaluate your schedule and change things up a bit?
- Is exercise becoming a part of your daily routine?
- Do you have an accountability group?
Blessings and love,