"Without the renewed mind, we will distort the Scriptures to avoid their radical commands for self-denial, and love, and purity, and supreme satisfaction in Christ alone." ~ John Piper
This is a quote I totally agree with.
- Many people have studied the Scriptures.
- Many people have much head knowledge of the Scriptures but not heart knowledge.
- Many people can quote certain verses.
- Many people can take a verse of Scripture out of context to suit their own agenda.
- Even Satan knows Scripture and distorted it to try to tempt Jesus. (good luck with that)
Romans 12:2 says: "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is -- His good, pleasing and perfect will."
As I surrender more and more of my life to Christ, He changes me from the inside out. I don't need to try to be good. I don't need to try to do more good.
As I study the Scriptures in context, my mind is being transformed by the Holy Spirit. His desires become my desires. It's like hand in glove. He works in me and through me to impact others. My outward behavior changes slowly as I grow in Him.
Do I have it all together?
No way! After all, I still have my human flesh to contend with.
But praise God.
As I learn to give it ALL to Him, I am learning to live this Christian life in the power of His Spirit. That's called maturity.
What are your thoughts on this quote by John Piper? I'd love to hear what you have to say. Or you can link up with Living for God and share your post with us.
Blessings and love,