- 33.2 million people now live with HIV or AIDS.
- In 2007, approximately 2.5 million people were infected with HIV.
- Every day, over 6800 people become infected with HIV - almost five people per minute.
- 5700 people die from AIDS every day.
- One child dies every minute.
- 15 million children around the world have been orphaned by AIDS, losing one or both parents to the disease.
- Every fifteen seconds, another person age 15-24 becomes infected with HIV/AIDS.
- Prevention of the disease, with education particularly aimed at children 5 to 15
- Care for people infected and affected by AIDS, especially orphans and vulnerable children
- Advocay on behalf of those affected by AIDS
So, what can you do on World AIDS Day?
- If you're a blogger, you can join in, grab a badge and add your own post to raise awareness.
- You can sponsor a Hope child through World Vision; a child that has been impacted personally.
Even though this is a huge problem, we can each do our part to get the word out and help in even small ways. I've sponsored a child through World Vision for many years and ...it's such a blessing to participate.